Founder - Inclusive Music & Senior Instructor
About the Instructor
Teacher, Trainer, Educator, Music Technologist, Musician
“Inclusive Music” encapsulates Phil’s passion for enabling Access For All through Music Technology. Creator of the Best Selling “Dance eJay for Schools”, co-author of “GarageBand for Schools” and now "BandLab For Schools", he encourages students to discover their own ways of learning and expressing themselves, leading Ofsted to repeatedly recognise him as an “outstanding” teacher. SEND expert and Drake Music Associate Musician, Phil believes in the reality of participation no matter what the ability or disability.
His mission is to "Teach the world to make music with BandLab"
"When we first launched the BandLab for Education platform a year ago, Phil was one of the first beta testers we reached out to due to his incredible expertise in the music EdTech space. Phil has been helping us by product testing BandLab for Education directly in schools, and providing vital weekly feedback – he shares what fellow educators and their students find useful in our product, but also continually challenges us to improve our overall service. On top of that, he has gone the extra mile to create his own BandLab tutorials that are incredibly useful for anyone looking to get started making music.
Overall, Phil's support and strategic thinking has been invaluable. His name is recognised and respected even amongst our Education industry contacts here in Singapore. We are very excited to continue our partnership at BETT 2019 – where Phil will be sharing best practices for BandLab for Education – and beyond."
Jessica Vas - BandLab
I just wanted to drop you a quick email to say how much we're enjoying the music lessons. The children have really taken to it well and the adults are learning a lot!
So...a big thank you from us!
All the best,"
Emma, Laura and Year 5
"Our Simple Accessible Music project was very popular with teachers and pupils. Nine schools have been involved so far with six further schools scheduled this academic year. So far all have adapted their school music curriculum to include music technology, with some teachers cascading to parallel classes and several intending to develop through whole-school CPD.
Phil is highly competent with a range of software and its application in schools. He has recently been working with BandLab (a free educational resource) and assisting its creators with its development, opening up possibilities for schools. He is very knowledgeable about hardware and software.
These are high-quality online resources which have been popular with teachers and are also useful as a training resource after workshop delivery."
Fiona Pendreigh - Head of Plymouth Music Education Hub & Chair of the Music Education Council
“We know we are offering quality musical moments for our students and staff when Phil leads the sessions. Totally reliable and professional – I recommend him without reservation.”
I am so excited that you have made the decision to take your music making to the next level. You are joining a growing group of Digital Musicians who know that the quality of BandLab's music and technology platform makes it possible for anyone to discover the musician in them and follow a personalised path of creativity and self-expression.
Well, now you can quickly and easily incorporate BandLab into your classroom and deliver the curriculum and more in an engaging and inclusive way.
BandLab's Award-winning Music Creation Tools
BandLab brings award-winning music creation features to the public enabling access to everything you'll need for collaborative and fun musical learning.
Nothing to patch or install – the cloud-based platform works on Mac, Windows, Linux and Chromebooks. It's safe and it's free!
Learning Through Doing
In this course, you will learn through doing. You will discover how to get started exploring the thousands of sampled loops and virtual instruments and how to best use them to create your own personal projects. The video tutorials will allow you learn at your own pace. Just press play and pause and construct your structures song in exactly the way that suits you.
This is a new feature of BandLab and enables you to work with any of the 18 million BandLab users worldwide. This offers a really exciting way to connect and collaborate with like minded musicians like you. That's what music has always been about!
Through the process of creating a structured song in any one of over 100 genres, you will learn:
- The basic skills of how to use a DAW - Digital Audio Workstation
- How to audition and find appropriate sounds for different elements of a song like the introduction, verse and chorus
- How to write your own lyrics
- How to audition and play virtual midi instruments and record your own melodies and solos
- Tips and tricks you can use to add the final touches to a song making it sound cohesive and professional
- How To Make Your Finished Track Sound Even Better through Mastering
This course will empower and motivate you to become musicians. It will give you the confidence in your innate ability to create in the medium that you know so well - technology. The results will astound you! And now there is an app which makes making music even easier. Whilst we focus on the desktop version in this course, it's still worth downloading as the two versions work seamlessly together. For example, with a touch screen phone or tablet you can create the most amazing drum beats
I hope you gain value and satisfaction from this course and enjoy developing your songwriting craft for years to come.
Keep Making Music!
Phil Heeley: Founder & Director Inclusive Music
- Video - BandLab Overview FREE PREVIEW
- Video - BandLab Basics: How To Make Great Music In Minutes FREE PREVIEW
- Demo Song Structure
- Video - An Example Song Structure With Sections FREE PREVIEW
- BandLab Demo Song by Phil Heeley FREE PREVIEW
- Various Song Structures
- Song Structure Template
- Keyboard Shortcuts
- Quiz 1 - Getting Started FREE PREVIEW
- Summary - Basic Skills
- Video - Basic Skills - Part 1 FREE PREVIEW
- Quiz - Basic Skills - Part 1 FREE PREVIEW
- Video - Basic Skills - Part 1A
- Quiz - Basic Skills - Part 1A
- Video - Basic Skills - Part 1B
- Quiz - Basic Skills - Part 1B
- Video - Basic Skills - Part 1C
- Quiz - Basic Skills - Part 1C
- Video - Basic Skills - Part 1D
- Quiz - Basic Skills - Part 1D
- BandLab Basic Skills - Part 1E
- Quiz - Basic Skills - Part 1E FREE PREVIEW
- Summary - The Introduction
- Demo Song Structure
- Video - Example: Introduction (0:00 - to 0:50 seconds)
- Video - The Introduction - Part 1
- Quiz - The Introduction - Part 1
- Video - The Introduction - Part 1A
- Quiz - The Introduction - Part 1A
- Video - The Introduction - Part 1B FREE PREVIEW
- Quiz - The Introduction - Part 1B FREE PREVIEW
- How to Write Song Lyrics (Wikipedia)
- Summary - The Chorus
- Demo Song Structure
- Video - Example: Chorus (0:50 to 1:11)
- Video - The Chorus - Part 3 - First Attempt
- Quiz - The Chorus - Part 3 - First Attempt
- Video - The Chorus - Part 3A
- Video - The Chorus - Part 3B FREE PREVIEW
- Quiz - The Chorus - Part 3B FREE PREVIEW
- How to Write Song Lyrics (Wikipedia)
- How To Get Started On BandLab FREE PREVIEW
- Make Music Instantly - A Simple Guide – Part 1: Looper Introduction FREE PREVIEW
- Make Music Instantly - A Simple Guide – Part 2: Sound Packs and Recording FREE PREVIEW
- Introducing the Looper - Redefining Beat Creation FREE PREVIEW
- Quantization: A Beginner’s Guide FREE PREVIEW
- Finishing Your Music Projects FREE PREVIEW
- Tips For Achieving Creative Flow FREE PREVIEW
- 6 Creative Ways To Use Loops and Samples FREE PREVIEW
- Mastering - How To Make Your Finished Track Sound Even Better FREE PREVIEW
- Getting Sound Into BandLab: Microphones FREE PREVIEW
- Learn About Effects: Delay FREE PREVIEW
- Learn About Effects: Reverb FREE PREVIEW
- How To Make Electronic Dance Music In Minutes FREE PREVIEW
- How to Produce Hip Hop In Minutes FREE PREVIEW
- Slice Up Your Life: 5 Ways To Manipulate Loops And Make Them Your Own FREE PREVIEW
- Make Money With Your Music FREE PREVIEW
- Producer Series: Guitar And Bass FREE PREVIEW
- MIDI Loops: Hip-Hop, Trap, EDM, Arpeggiators & Melodies FREE PREVIEW
- What Is MIDI? A Simple And Practical Guide FREE PREVIEW
- Songwriting: 5 Tips To Finding That Creative Spark FREE PREVIEW
- What Is Latency? FREE PREVIEW
- BandLab’s Mobile Version 9.0 Has LANDED 🛸 FREE PREVIEW